One of the first (if not the first, accounts differ) railroads in Florida, the Tallahassee Railroad started in 1834 under charter from the state of Florida to carry cotton bales from plantations around Tallahassee to the Saint Marks river for distribution. Construction started the same year, with the first operations carried out on 5-foot gauge trackage in 1836-1837. Trains were originally towed by mules; the first steam locomotive did not arrive on the property until 1855.
The TRR underwent several mergers and acquisitions over the years. It was sold to the Pensacola and Georgia Railroad in 1855, who rebuilt it using current standards, along with standardizing its gauge to 4 feet 8-and-one-half inches. In 1869, the P&G and TRR were incorporated into the Jacksonville, Pensacola and Mobile Railroad. The JP&M was merged into the Florida Central and Western Railroad in 1882. The FC&W was merged into the Florida Railway and Navigation Company in 1884. The FR&N was re-incorporated into the Florida Central and Peninsular Railroad in 1888. The FC&P was incorporated into the Florida Central and Peninsular Railway in 1893. The FC&P was leased by the Seaboard Air Line Railroad in 1900, who purchased the FC&P outright three years later.
Known as the Saint Marks branch under the SAL, the original TRR line was abandoned in the 1960s. Today, it serves as the Tallahassee-St. Marks Historic Railroad State Rail Trail.