The Stony Clave and Catskill Mountain Railroad was built in 1881 as a 3-foot narrow gauge railway. It connected with the Ulster and Delaware Railroad at Phoenicia and ran up Stony Clave Valley to Hunter. It also connected with the standard-gauge Kaaterskill Railway at Kaaterskill Junction along the way. The railroad was eventually purchased by the U&D.
Abandonment came when under control of the New York Central in 1939.