This extension of the original Rutland Railroad was built in 1898, and completed the next year. It was built in order to circumvent the nearby Vermont Central routing. It ran north from Burlington, VT, across Lake Champlain, and into Rouses Point, NY, just south of the international border with Canada.
The line was abandoned in the 1960s. Evidence of it still exists as land bridges were used to cross the lake's many islands. Also, a portion of the line in Burlington is in use as the Island Line Rail Trail.