This abandoned line started out as the New Castle and Franklin Railroad, which began construction of the line northward from New Castle in 1873. They built as far north to Mercer Junction that same year, and finished the route north to Stoneboro the following year. The line changed hands several times over the years, until the Pennsylvania Railroad acquired it in 1918. Some of the line was abandoned under PRR's ownership, while the rest of the line was abandoned under Penn Central.
The New Castle Branch
— ICC Abandonment Filings —
|Docket: 12128||8/5/1938||Section: 1|
|App. of Western New York and Pennsylvania Ry Co. Lessee, for abandonment of that portion of the former's New Castle Branch extending from Houston Junction to Stoneboro, a distance of 12.3 miles and a four mile side track known as Jacking Siding, all in Mercer County, PA.|
|Length: 12.3 miles||389||Citation: 230 ICC 386|