The Delaware River and Lancaster Railroad

French Creek Junction to Saint Peters, PA

The Delaware River and Lancaster Railroad was chartered in 1868 to build a railway line between the Delaware River in New Jersey and Lancaster, PA. Construction on the line started at Phoenixville, PA (at French Creek Junction and a connection with The Pickering Valley Railroad, near Kimberton, PA) and headed west for about 12 miles along French Creek to Saint Peters. There, the DR&L connected to the end of The Warwick Branch via a switchback.

Also known as the "Sowbelly Railroad", the DR&L ultimately lost money during its operation and was eventually abandoned in 1893, just 5 years after being built; the tracks themselves were pulled up a year later.

—  User Comments  —