This railroad line underwent numerous ownerships and name changes, but it is primarily known as the Cincinnati, Columbus and Hocking Valley Railroad. Originally chartered as the Waynesville, Port William and Jeffersonville Railroad in 1875, then renamed to the Columbus, Washington and Cincinnati Railroad in 1876, it was constructed as a narrow gauge railroad starting in 1877 at Octa and completed west to Bowersville later that year. Extensions to New Burlington and Claysville Junction in 1878 were made and then in 1881, the railroad took its CC&HV name, rebuilt as standard gauge, and extended to Jeffersonville. However, the CC&HV ceased operations in 1887.
The Ohio Southern resumed operations along the line in 1894, who extended the railroad to its greatest extents between Waynesville and Sedalia.
The Detroit, Toledo and Ironton Railroad purchased the line in 1898, and ultimately abandoned the line in two stages: the first stage between Jeffersonville and Waynesville was abandoned in 1932, with the rest of the original CC&HV abandoned to Sedalia in 1941.
Today, little evidence of the line remains.