The Tyrone Branch

Burro Mountain Junction to Tyrone, NM

The Burro Mountain Railroad started out as a subsidiary of the El Paso and Southwestern Railroad (itself under the control of the Phelps-Dodge Mining Company) and established a 13-mile line from Burro Mountain Junction (at a connection with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway) to the town of Tyrone (at its original location). When Phelps-Dodge closed the mines at Tyrone down in 1924, the EP&SW sold the line to the Southern Pacific Railroad, who abandoned the line in 1933.

In 1952, Phelps-Dodge reopened the mines in Tyrone as open pit mines; the expansion of the mines forced Tyrone to relocate to its current location. In order to support their operation, Phelps-Dodge rebuilt the Burro Mountain Railroad, using much of the original right-of-way. The line continues in use today.

The Burro Mountain Railroad, albeit a small short line, is one of the few railroad lines that crosses the continental divide.

—  ICC Abandonment Filings  —

Southern Pacific Railroad
Docket: 9876 3/8/1933 Section: 1
App. of Burro Mountain RR. Co. and Southern Pacific Co. for certificate to abandon the Tyrone Branch, and its operation, between Burro Mountain Junction and Tyrone, in Grant County, New Mexico, a distance of 13.07 miles.
Length: 13.07 miles 155 Citation: 193 ICC 758

—  User Comments  —