The Syracuse and Chenango Valley Railroad traversed the Chenango Valley between Earlville and Syracuse. Constructed in 1868, the line eventually came to be known as the Syracuse and Chenango Railroad in 1873, then the Syracuse, Chenango and New York Railroad in 1877. Ultimately it merged into the Syracuse, Ontario and New York Railway and by 1891 came under control of the New York Central Railroad.
The route was abandoned in stages. First stage between Earlville to Cazenovia was abandoned in 1935, the second stage between Cazenovia and Oran in 1943, Manilus to Oran in 1948 and the remainder of the line between Syracuse and Manilus in 1960.