Construction on this railroad line began in 1850 by the Trevorton and Susquehanna Railroad, and was completed by 1855; it was later purchased by the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad. It served as a major coal route.
Originally, a covered bridge was used to cross the Susquehanna River between Herndon and Port Trevorton. At 3,460 feet long, it was feared that the bridge would eventually collapse, so it was replaced in 1870.
Today, many miles of the roadbed are still visible, along with stone walls and some overpasses in Trevorton. The bridge piers across the Susquehanna River are still evident in satellite imagery.
Towns along the route, starting in Shamokin, are Trevorton, Dorsife, Herndon, and Port Trevorton.