This short freight line was owned by the Chris-Craft boat company, who operated a manufacturing plant in Algonac.
By the late 1920s, Chris-Craft's large factory in Algonac was in need of rail service, and the Port Huron & Detroit's line to Marine City (now also abandoned), to the north, seemed like a good candidate. However, PH&D denied Chris-Craft's request to extend their line south another eight miles to reach the factory. Thus, Chris-Craft built their own railroad in 1930 and named it the Algonac Transit Authority.
The ATA paralleled MI Route 29 its entire length, and utilized two GE 40-ton switchers to haul rail cars back and forth between Marine City (and a connection with the PH&D) and their plant in Algonac.
The ATA was abandoned in the spring of 1957, and tracks removed in the fall of that year.