The Savanna Army Depot opened in 1917 as a proving and testing facility for weapons developed at Rock Island Arsenal. In 1921 it became a weapons depot. The depot was selected for closure through the Base Realignment and Closure process in July 1995 and was officially closed on March 18, 2000.
Today, the site now serves as the Savanna Industrial Park. Some of the tracks remain and are operated by the Riverport Railroad.