Rushville, IN, was an original destination of The Lawrenceburg and Rushville Railroad Company, incorporated in 1848; however, the line was never built. Later, Rushville saw service from four railroads: The Nickel Plate, the New York Central, the Baltimore & Ohio, and then Pennsylvania Railroad. The NKP's New Castle District and the NYC line came together here, both of which then crossed over the B&O trackage, which is still under the service of CSX. The New Castle District arrived from Fort Wayne to the north; it was acquired by the Norfolk & Western in the 1970s.
Both the NKP and NYC lines are now abandoned. The Pennsylvania Railroad's history and location in Rushville are not known.