This abandoned railway line was constructed during the years 1872-1888 by the Pennsylvania, Ohio & Detroit Railroad; the line was leased to the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1926.
Passenger service along the line was discontinued in 1931.
In August of 1935, the tracks were damaged due to flooding, and the decreasing revenue on the line was not enough to justify the cost of repairing the tracks. Thus, the PO&D filed for abandonment of operations over the line in 1936, at which time it was believed that perhaps the line would become profitable again one day. However, it was not to be, and the line was formally abandoned five years later.