The Brandywine Summit Branch

Chadds Ford to Brandywine Summit, PA

This was a short branch off of The Chester Creek Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad. It switched off at Chadds Ford Junction, made a huge horseshoe curve crossing US Route 202 twice, and finally crossed Ridge Road. Built in 1888, it ran for only 1.6 miles.

The time of its abandonment is in question. Two sources tell us that it was abandoned either in 1922 or in 1972, when the Chester Creek Branch was abandoned. Nobody seems to know which date is correct. It is believed to have been abandoned in 1922 since traces of the line are nearly impossible to find today.

This picture shows signs of the right-of-way just off US Route 2...
This picture shows signs of the right-of-way just off US Route 202, near the breakoff at Chadds Ford. The tracks to the Chester Creek Branch can still be seen in the winter. Photo by Joe Sharretts.
The former grade crossing is evidenced by the rise in Ridge Road...
The former grade crossing is evidenced by the rise in Ridge Road. Photo by Joe Sharretts.
A USGS topographical map from 1904 shows the Brandywine Summit B...
A USGS topographical map from 1904 shows the Brandywine Summit Branch (highlighted). It branches from The Chester Creek Branch at the top part of the map, crosses what would become US Route 202 twice via a horseshoe curve, and heads to kaolin mines to the south. Click on the map for a larger view.

—  User Comments  —