The Atglen & Susquehanna Branch of the PRR was constructed in the early 1900s to funnel an increasing amount of freight traffic from the passenger line serving Lancaster and Harrisburg. Actually one of about five different branches under the single moniker of Low Grade, the Atglen & Susquehanna was electrified in 1936, and was a busy, double-track line connecting Parkesburg with the (still active) Columbia and Port Deposit line at Creswell, about a mile geographically northwest of Safe Harbor. By way of a bridge nine miles northwest of Creswell spanning the Susquehanna River between Shocks Mills and Wago Junction, the trains could reach Enola Yard across the river from Harrisburg. The Atglen & Susquehanna became redundant in the late 1980s, and in 1989 (using the name "Enola Branch") it was petitioned for abandonment by Conrail. Tracks were removed beginning in 1990.
The Atglen and Susquehanna Branch
— ICC Abandonment Filings —
|Docket: 15613||2/14/1947||Section: 1|
|App, of Pennsylvania RR Co. and Reading Company for the former to abandon the Susquehannah, in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, approx, 4.51 miles and the latter to abandon operation thereover under trackage rights.|
|Length: 4.51 miles||410||Citation: 267 ICC 811|