This line was built as the Delaware and Western Railroad between 1867 and 1872. It connected with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad mainline in Wilmington, DE, at Landenburg Junction, and proceeded through Green Bank, Hockessin and westward into Landenburg, where it connected with the Pennsylvania Railroad mainline. The line went through ownership changes during the ensuing years, first as the Baltimore and Philadelphia Railroad, and was eventually bought by the B&O in 1886, who named this line the Landenburg Branch.
The line was abandoned in stages; first between Landenburg and Southwood in the 1940s, and then between Southwood and Hockessin in the 1950s.
Today, the Wilmington and Western operates a tourist line from Hockessin to Wilmington, DE, on the remaining portion of the line. In addition, in 2013, the portion of the line up to Hockessin has been reopened for active service.
Thanks to Joe Sharretts for contributing information about this route.