This abandoned railway line was built as an addition to the West Chester and Philadelphia Railroad by the Pennsylvania Railroad when they purchased the WC&P in 1880; it extended from West Chester 6.2 miles north to the PRR's line in Frazer. While the original WC&P was electrified in the 1920s for passenger service between West Chester and Philadelphia, the remainder of the line was not electrified and only saw freight service.
Pennsylvania Railroad abandoned their segment of the line in 1960. The original WC&P line is still electrified and sees passenger service between Philadelphia and Elwyn as the R3 route of the Southeast Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, or SEPTA. The remainder of the WC&P between Elwyn and West Chester ceased passenger operations in 1982 but still sees freight service.