The Cigarville Railroad Station is an abandoned passenger and freight station located in present-day Clay, New York along NY Route 31. (Cigarville was absorbed into the Town of Clay during the early 1900s and no longer exists today.) According to a sign dated 1976 posted on the premises by the Clay Bicentennial Comm., the Cigarville Station was built in 1871 and served the Syracuse Northern Railroad. It burned down and was rebuilt in 1890, and was renamed the Clay Station in 1903. It was the first P.O. in town, and was owned by D. Sotherden. At some point, the station also served the New York Central Railroad. In addition to passenger service, the station also saw freight traffic, which may have once included tobacco shipments from local tobacco farms bound for New York City on the New York Central. It is unknown exactly when passenger or freight service were discontinued and the station was abandoned, but it was likely a very long time ago.
Today, the Cigarville Station has been beautifully restored and is well maintained, and contains a small museum (The Cigarville Railroad Station Museum) of historical artifacts illustrating early life in the Town of Clay. The tracks that run by the station are today an active CSX freight line. Aside from the station itself and the present-day CSX line, no other evidence of Cigarville or past railroad activity can be found in the area as of 2008.
Thanks to Kevin M. Smith for contributing information about this route.