The original intent of the Sackets Harbor and Saratoga Railroad in 1848 was to build a 185-mile line between Saratoga Springs and Ogdensburg, right through the middle of the Adirondack Mountains. However, not a mile of track was laid until 1862 when investors started to finance the line in hopes of reaping the benefits of freight commerce granted by local mines along the planned route. By 1870, the funds had dried up, and only 60 miles of track had been laid from Saratoga Springs northwards to North Creek.
The line's usefulness diminished over time, until 1940, when the MacIntyre Titanium Mine opened in Tawahus: its yield was impressive, and prompted the Adirondack Railroad, who owned the line at this time, to build a spur to the mine. Despite the rest of the line being abandoned, the Adirondack Railroad continued to service the mine using the line north out of Saratoga Springs. The Delaware and Hudson soon purchased the railroad and the line.
The entire line, including a spur to Corinth, and another to Warrensbur, was abandoned in 1983; the mines at Tawahus closed their doors 6 years later in 1989.
The included pictures show, among other things, an old flat car, an old wooden snow plow, and other railroad artifacts left along the abandoned tracks.
Thanks to Doug Vensel for contributing information about this route.