This abandoned railway began in 1853 as the Fremont and Indiana Railroad. The original line started at Fremont and ran to Peoria, Illinois. It became part of the Lake Erie and Western Railroad in 1880. Somewhere in this time in was extended north to Sandusky. It became part of the New York Central System in 1900; however, it was never integrated into the NYC. It was later sold to the Nickel Plate Road (NKP), itself becoming part of the Norfolk & Western Railroad (N&W) in 1964.
The last train to use this track was around 1965. This may have been due to the fact that the N&W purchased the former Pennsylvania Railroad's Columbus-Sandusky line in 1964 (still in use by Norfolk Southern), which provided a more direct connection with the NKP mainline and Sandusky.
Today, the portion of the line from Fostoria to Sandusky via Fremont has been abandoned, with much of the right-of-way remaining undeveloped. South of Fostoria, the line is still active. One source states that track was still in place as late as the late-1970s.
Thanks to Aaron M. for contributing information about this route.