This line was built between 1894 and 1904 to connect Brunswick to Collins, with a final extension of the line laid to Ludowici in 1906. The total line distance was 98.4 miles. Utlimately, the line was owned by The Georgia Coast and Piedmont Railroad, which itself was the result of a merger involving several different railroads: the Darien and Western, the Darien Short Line, the Collins and Reidsville Railroad, and the Reidsville and Southern Railroad.
Once all three line were consolidated in 1906 construction began to link Darien with the port in Brunswick. This was completed 1914. The railroad was built to help expidite timber from the interior counties to the port of Darien and later Brunswick. Soon after it's completion the timber was exausted and the rail raod went into receivership.
The line was abandoned in sections. Warwaw to Fairhope was abandoned in 1914, Ludowici to Brunswick in 1919, Ludowici to Glennville in 1921, and Glennville to Collins in 1941.
The portion of rail bed and bridges from Broadfield to Darien was merged with GA Route 17. Another part of the railbed was used to make GA Route 99 which travels from Darien to Eulonia. Still other parts of the railbed survey today as access roads and powerline corridors. The fact that much of the right of way can still be seen in aireal photogrpahs and topographic maps is a credit to the men that built it.
Warsaw, Georiga, located in McIntosh County, was once an area bustling with wood mills that took advantage of the lush forests in the vicinity. And as expected, railroads were abundant to haul the milled wood out. The town was originally called Darien Junction, because of its location next to the junction of the Georgia Coast & Piedmont (ex-Darien & Western) and the Seaboard Air Line. The town housed mill workers, stores and even a hotel, and reached its peak in the 1930s.
Today, nothing remains of the town, except for a brick vault, which was formerly found in the main offices of the Warsaw Lumber Company. The remnants of the old GC&P railroad trestle across the Altahama River still stand as evidence where a railroad once ran. The only reminder of the town is an old dirt road named Warsaw Road, which runs through the area where Warsaw once stood.
Thanks to Suzy Krone for contributing information about this route.