This line was constructed in 1886 by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway, the Texas-based subsidiary of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. In 1990, the Kiamichi Railroad, a regional company with a presence in nearby states of Arkansas and Oklahoma, desired access into Dallas from their mainline in Purcell, OK, which this segment of railway would provide. Thus, they purchased this line from the AT&SF and created a subsidiary company, the Chaparral Railroad, to operate it. The railroad was not profitable, however, and the line was abandoned in 1995.
Today, the right-of-way serves the Chaparral Rail-trail.