This abandoned railway line was a branch line of the original Alaska Railroad, chartered in 1914. It started at a connection with the AKRR mainline at Palmer, AK, and ran northeastward to Chickaloon in order to serve the coal fields there. The area around the mines at Chickaloon helped foster populating growth within the immediate area, but just as soon as the city grew, so did it decline, as the coal mined in there was not as profitable as newly-discovered oil in California. Thus the mine's output followed the diminishing demand, and it finally shuttered its doors. This spur that served the mine was thus abandoned in the late 1930s.
Today, the lower portion of the right-of-way in and north of Palmer serves as the Palmer-Moose Creek Railroad Trail.