Northwestern Pacific Passenger Station

The NWPRR depot today, lovingly restored and used as a visitor center. Photo by Andrew Laverdiere, May 2008.
A closeup of a utility cart with the initials of the Northwestern Pacific Railroad. Photo by Andrew Laverdiere, May 2008.
The semaphore signal found outside the depot, still standing guard over the abandoned tracks. Photo by Andrew Laverdiere, May 2008.

The Northwestern Pacific Railroad's passenger depot at Santa Rosa was originally built in 1904 to replace the previous one which had burned. Besides serving duty as a depot, the station also starred in Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt, which was shot on location in Santa Rosa. As with other railroad passenger depots, this one faded into abandonment when the NWP ceased passenger operations.

Today, the building serves as both a historical reminder of Santa Rosa's past, as well as housing the Santa Rosa Convention and Visitors Bureau and the California Visitors Center. They have a few railroad artifacts on display for visitors.

See also the The Glen Ellen Branch.

Thanks to Greg Harrison for contributing information.

—  User Comments  —

Good news! Trains will be rolling past this depot again by 2014! Let's give a big hand to the North Coast Rail Authority! Maybe the new SMART Commuter Train will stop here, giving an incentive to restore the depot.

Andy Sammonds
San Jose, CA
5/7/2011

Trains have been running past here for over a year.

Lawrence LaBranche
Eureka, CA
1/27/2013