This abandoned railway line was built in 1894 by the Philadelphia and Delaware County Railroad in order to serve both passenger and freight needs in the area. Originally intended for destinations beyond Newtown Square, PA, the P&DC never made it past. It was quickly leased to the Pennsylvania Railroad, who operated it under their Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad subsidiary.
The line was popular with locals, with as many as 13 trains a day arriving/departing the station at the end of the line in Newtown Square. After passenger service ended in 1908 (with passenger service tapering off to the Philadelphia and West Chester Traction Company nearby), freight service continued into the 1960s.
In 1900, an additional branch line off the P&DC, the Cardington Branch, was built to access the Cardington Mills at Millbourne.
The Pennsylvania Railroad purchased the line outright in December of 1913. The line was cut back to Eagle Road in the 1960s, while the remainder of the line fell into disuse by 1981; abandonment of the line came in 1983, and the tracks were removed in 1985.