Started in 1882, the Meherrin Valley Railroad built a line from a connection with the Seaboard and Roanoke Railroad (ex-Seaboard Coast Line, CSX today) at Margaretsville, NC to Claresville, VA, a distance of 10 miles. The intent was to build as far as Hicksford (South Emporia) and eventually Danville, but the railroad suffered financial trouble and reorganized as the Meherrin Valley Railway in 1887. This new railroad company was able to complete the additional 7.7 miles to Hicksford; it, too, however suffered financial trouble, and the line was completely abandoned in August of 1892.
Evidence of the line, itself having been abandoned over 100 years ago, is virtually non-existent. It is believed that VA Route 730 lies atop the mainline starting with the intersection with VA Route 624 south of Claresville and continuing into Emporia.