The Mahopac Falls Railroad, chartered in 1850, was constructed in 1884 as a branch line from the New York & Northern Railroad (who also operated the line). Starting in Baldwin Place, it ran northward to the Mahopac mines at a length of 4 miles. In 1902, the branch to Mahopac Mines was cut back to Mahopac Falls. A few years later, the line was leased to and, by 1913, merged with the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad. The line was part of the consolidation of other railroads into the New York Central Railroad in 1914, and was included as part of their Putnam Division.
Abandonment of the line came in 1931.