The Louisville and Wadley Railroad was chartered on August 24, 1872 to build a 10-mile line from a Central Railroad connection at Wadley north to Louisville, GA. The line was completed in 1879, and the line had to be continuously subsidized to keep it out of receivership. Passenger service ended in 1953.
Service to Louisville was discontinued in 1971 due to bridge failure over Boggy Gut Creek just northeast of Wadley. The track now ends short of the US Route 1 Bypass in Wadley, extending from the connection with Norfolk-Southern (formerly Central of Georgia) in Wadley for a total of 2 miles. Rail service has been suspended on the remaining line and the track is in an advanced state of disrepair.
From Wadley, the line extended through Gibson Junction, Moxley, Aldreds and into Louisville.