The Pacific Electric opened a line that ran north from Los Angeles to Glendale in the early 1900s. The line was later extended from Glendale to Burbank. This route was passenger only (except for occasional express freight or parcels) and much of the line ran in streets or in the medians of streets. Passenger service on this route ended in 1955.
The section that ran into downtown Los Angeles was rerouted to a subway route in the 1920s. The subway terminal still stands at the corner of Hill and 4th Street in downtown Los Angeles. It has now been converted to residences and it is named Metro417. The rail tunnels are not accessible to the public or tenants. The north portal of the subway tunnel still stands, but is sealed up. It is near the corner of Glendale Boulevard and 1st Street.
Midway along the route, the tracks ran along a private right-of-way through the Ivanhoe Hills section of Los Angeles. Part of this right of way can still be seen today (early 2008); the pictures presented are from this section.
Thanks to Mike Palmer for contributing information about this route.