This line began in 1855 as part of the Wabash Railroad's line from Toledo, Ohio to Ft. Wayne, Indiana.
Passenger service on the line was discontinued in 1959.
By 1964, the Wabash Railroad merged with the Norfolk and Western Railroad.
Despite references stating that abandonment of the line from Maumee to Liberty Center came in 1969, it was officially abandoned in 1986 by Norfolk Southern. The rest of the line was later sold off to a shortline railroad.
Today, the ROW from Maumee to Liberty Center, OH, is now in use as "the southern fork" of the Wabash Cannonball trail, and is 17 miles in length.
Southwest from Liberty Center to Ft. Wayne, IN, the line is (barely) used by a short line railroad.