This branch line was originally part of the San Joaquin Valley Railroad's mainline between Armona and Los Banos, CA. When it came under control of the Southern Pacific, the mainline was redirected at Kerman and then built eastward to SP's yards at Fresno. The rest of the line, between Kerman south to Armona, was then "downgraded" to a branch line.
With competition from AT&SF's line adjacent and parallel to this line to the east, the Southern Pacific abandoned the line in 1938.
At Kerman, the line is very close to The Biola Branch; see also the Riverdale Branch, to which this line connected at Hardwick.