The Somerset & Kennebec Railroad began in 1853 when its line from Augusta to Waterville opened; the line was extended northwards to Skowhegan on November 19, 1856. The S&K was operated as a subsidiary of Kennebec and Portland Railroad, which was originally chartered in 1836. The K&P and the S&K came under the ownership of the Maine Central Railroad in 1874.
The line was abandoned in 1971 north of the line's northern-most customer, the Scott Paper mill, which is located north of Hinckley near the Somerset Kennebec county line.
Thanks to Andrew Laverdiere for contributing information about this route.