This line was established as the San Antonio and Aransas Pass, Houston Branch. It ran between Kenedy, TX, and the Union Station in downtown Houston. The line reached Houston in about 1890. It was acquired by the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1925 and was made part of SP's Texas & New Orleans Railroad in 1934.
The line has been dormant for a few years now. Traffic has been limited to locals switching a few cars near the junction with the UP double main line that leads into Houston. Houston Metro (the mass transit system of Houston) bought the line recently and plans to use the land for a high occupancy vehicle route. In June 2001, Houston Metro began dismantling the line.
Thanks to Jason Rose for contributing information about this route.