The Kanawha and Pocahontas Railroad Company was incorporated in 1898 by the Charles Pratt Company in the interest of hauling away coal that was mined from the property owned by Charles Pratt. The line was constructed in 1902 as a 3-foot gauge railroad, and originated as a branch off the mainline of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway at what was called Paint Creek Junction. It followed Paint Creek 14 miles up to Kingston, crossing the Kanawha-Fayette county line about one mile south of Burnwell.
In 1904, the entire line was leased to the C&O, and came under ownership of that company in 1914. Henceforth, it was known as The Paint Creek Branch.
It is not known when it was abandoned.
Thanks to Richard McClintock for contributing information about this route.