This 6.5 mile branch line was completed and placed in operation in 1909. During its existence, it went through six changes of ownership, and was operated under various names:
- Ferdinand Railway (1906-1911)
- Ferdinand Railroad (1911-1987)
- Ferdinand and Huntingburg Railroad (1987-1990)
- Ferdinand Railroad or Ferdinand and Huntingburg Railroad (1990-1991)
The Ferdinand's line terminated at a connection to Southern Railway's Evansville Branch, just south of Huntingburg. The Ferdinand had trackage rights on Southern's mainline to Huntingburg, and paid rent for the use of Southern's facilities there.
One of the main sources of revenue for the Ferdinand RR was the Evans Transportation Company, which used the Ferdinand RR as the base for a large freight car leasing operation. In 1986 there were 897 freight cars with the FRDN reporting mark, and in 1987 it grew to 1068 cars, more than could have been stored on the Ferdinand Railroad's track. (See a picture of a Ferdinand boxcar.) When the lease fleet era closed and the Ferdinand returned to local freight operations, it could not survive. By 1990-91 it was down to moving 18 cars per year. The last carload of freight was moved in March 1991. The line was abandoned in June 1991 and dismantled in 1991-92.