Hinckley to Skowhegan
The Somerset & Kennebec Railroad began in 1853 when its line from Augusta to Waterville opened; the line was extended northwards to Skowhegan on November 19, 1856. The S&K was operated as a subsidiary of Kennebec and Portland Railroad, which was originally chartered in 1836. The K&P and the S&K came under the ownership of the Maine Central Railroad in 1874.
The line was abandoned in 1971 north of the line's northern-most customer, the Scott Paper mill, which is located north of Hinckley near the Somerset Kennebec county line.
Thanks to Andrew Laverdiere for contributing information.
No comments have been posted for this abandonment yet.