Heron Lake to Pipestone

In 1879, the Minnesota and Black Hills Railroad Company, affiliated with the interests of the Sioux City and St. Paul Railroad Company, constructed a branch line from Heron Lake, MN, to Woodstock, MN. The line was further extended to Pipestone, MN, in 1880. The Sioux City and St. Paul Railroad was then reorganized under the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railway (the Omaha Road).

The towns on the line were:

  • Heron Lake
  • Dundee
  • Lime Creek
  • Avoca
  • Slayton
  • Hadley
  • Lake Wilson
  • Woodstock
  • Pipestone

Evidence points to the line being abandoned before the 1970s.

Parts of the right-of-way near Pipestone is used as a recreational trail. Most of the old embankment was sold to land owners. The former grade is visible in satellite photos.

—  User Comments  —

No comments have been posted for this abandonment yet.