This abandoned railway was built by the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Extension Railroad as a branch line from MKT's Texas operations at Greenville to a connection with the Texas and Pacific (Union Pacific today) at Mineola. The first stretch was built southeastward from Greenville to Emory in 1880. The rest of the line was completed to Mineola in 1881.
The line was abandoned in 1956. Today, US Route 69 runs atop the former right-of-way in some places.
See also Abandoned Rails of Greenville.