Greenville, 60 miles northeast of Dallas and established in 1846, has a varied railroad history dating back to 1880 when the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Extention railway first laid tracks there. Subsequent railroad companies appeared in the prospering town soon after, including the East Line and Red River Railroad in 1881, the Dallas and Greenville Railway in 1886, the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway in 1887, and the Texas Midland line in 1896. This influx of railroads helped to establish Greenville as a leading cotton market in the area; the Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad even thought it beneficial to locate their machine shops there.
Today, Greenville is served by three railroads: Kansas City Southern (nee-MKT, ex-L&A); the Dallas, Garland and Northeasthern (ex-MKT tracks); and the Blacklands Railroad (ex-Cotton Belt tracks). Texas Tower 64 previously guarded the crossing of the MKT and Cotton Belt; while no longer in use, the lower half of the tower remains.