In 1923, Southern Pacific opened up a new maintenance and service yard near Glendale, CA. Named for a local entrepreneur, Taylor Yard was one of the larger service yards in the Los Angeles area. It was a full-service railroad hump yard, and was responsible for maintenance of both locomotives and railroad rolling stock and for freight switching and classification. The closure of SP's nearby Midway Yard also helped Taylor Yard to grow to the massive complex it once was. As other railroad facilities were opened around Los Angeles after World War II, Taylor Yard began to lose some of its traffic, and by the late 1970s, its usefulness had diminished. What remained of this once-great railroad yard had all been abandoned by 1985.
Today, only a small sliver of the original railroad yard remains, in use by Union Pacific as a locomotive repair shop. A majority of the site is now owned by the City of Los Angeles, on which they operate the Rio de Los Angeles Park.