In 1898, the Chicago, Milwaukee, Saint Paul and Pacific Railroad, known as the Milwaukee Road, built a 15-mile extension from their mainline in Glencoe northwest to Hutchinson, in Minnesota. At the time, the railroad was the only reliable source of transportation in the region, and as many as six passenger trains traveled the line, with transfers in Glencoe to either the west coast or the Twin Cities/Chicago.
Towns along the line:
The Milwaukee Road abandoned the line in early 1957.
Thanks to Adam Jelinski for contributing information about this route.