This railway line was completed in 1888 as part of the Minnesota & Northwestern, which was soon renamed the Chicago, St. Paul & Kansas City, which subsequently became the Chicago Great Western in 1892. The CGW struggled at times, but survived until 1968, when it was merged with the Chicago & North Western.
This section of the line around Chicago was abandoned in pieces. The section between Ingalton (and crossing of the EJ&E) was apparently abandoned in the early 1970s. The section between Carol Stream and Lombard was officially abandoned in the mid 1980s. However, as seen in Don Hitchcock's pictures, much of the line between Villa Park and Lombard was out-of-service or gone in the mid 1970s. The same goes for sections of the line between Forest Park and Villa Park. All that remains of the line out to St. Charles on the west side of the Fox River is a few sections used for industrial spurs.
See also the abandoned Saint Charles-Galena portion of this CGW mainline.