This branch diverted north from the Baltimore & Ohio mainline just a few miles west of Harpers Ferry, at a settlement called Engle. There is a local road called Engle Switch Road that passes the location, but all the rails and ties from the branch have been removed.
The branch went a few miles through an area that was once agricultural but is now being slowly converted to neighborhoods. Some sections of the right-of-way in Bakerton are used as a private alley or utility access road.
Most of the route travels through private property. Judging by the condition of the right-of-way it was abandoned no later than the 1970s.
Thanks to Mike Palmer for contributing information.
|Baltimore & Ohio Railroad|
|Docket: 23349||10/23/1964||Section: 1(18)|
|Applic. for auth. to aband. its Baker Branch extending from point of connection with the main line at Station 0+00, near the Village of Engle, to the northerly end of the Branch at Sta. 139+28.4, near the Village of Bakerton, a distance of approx. 2.64 mi., all in Jefferson County, W. Va.|
|Length: 2.640 miles||Citation:|
Line was taken up 1961/62, this served the standard lime quarry that closed in 1959/60