This abandoned railway line began in 1906 as an extension of the Angelina and Neches River Railroad, which ran eastward out of Lufkin, TX. At that time it only extended as far as Alco, TX. By 1911, it had been extended further northeastward to Chireno, TX. It was built in order to serve local mills in the rich piney woods of eastern Texas.
Today, the line from Lufkin to Dunagan, TX, is still in operation by the A&NR, over 100 years later. At Dunagan, the railroad's present-day eastern terminus, the A&NR continues to serve lineside customers.
The date of abandonment of the portion of the line from Dunagan eastward to the end of the line at Chireno is unknown.