This route was built by the Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad between 1880 and 1884. At the time, it was a 3-foot narrow gauge, but was converted to standard gauge at some point.
The line was abandoned in 1937 under the Colorado and Southern Railroad.
The DSP&P was never converted to standard gauge. Not the part to Como and beyond.
The sedgment of the narrow gauge from Leadville to Fremont was converted to standard gauge by the C&S to serve the molybdenum mine at Climax and maintain an interchange with the D&RGW Tennessee Pass route. It is used today as a tourist line and terminates short of Fremont Pass.
The original right-off-way of the DSP&P (later C&S) between Como and Breckenridge was upgraded to an automobile road in 1955 and is driveable, in the summer months, by normal passenger autos.