Matt Nichols shares photos of abandoned rails around Cleveland, MS. Once served by four railroads, the last railroad was the Columbus and Greenville Railway; the tracks for its mainline through town were taken up in 1999.
One artifact of note that still remains in Cleveland is the former Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad turntable, built in 1916 (and subsequently owned by Illinois Central). Accompanying the turntable is also the foundation of the roundhouse it once served, complete with concrete service pits and some tracks. However, an urban developer has bought the land on which the turntable and roundhouse sit with intentions to prepare the land for an incoming neighborhood. Matt was able to get pictures of the roundhouse and turntable beforehand, but, sadly, the roundhouse foundation has since been demolished and removed. Fortunately, the turntable has been saved and donated to the city for restoration; ultimately it will be included as part of a rail-trail through town.
Thanks to Matthew Nichols for contributing information about this route.