Map submitted by Mike Fromholt.
Add your comments
does anyone know where i can obtain yard plans/diagrams for Hyndsville, Seward and Sharon Springs?
The line has been abandoned atleast since 1968, atleast where the bridge crosses US 20 just east of the Cherry Valley exit. At one time I'm sure this was a profitable and picturesque branch line of the D&H. If anyone knows any more about this route, like what kinds of freight was transported over it, when it was abandoned, or even any historic photos of trains traveling this line, let me know.
that railline ran until 1942
Kevin J Toohig
Information found in D & H Track Charts. Thank you.
cob leskill, NY
Facts of the line:
1. Opened for operation June 15, 1870
2. Ceased operations August 17, 1956
3. 21.04 route miles from KF tower on the D&H main to Cherry Valley.
4. Passenger service discontinued January 28,1933
5. Over its course of operations the line hauled coal, milk, hops, hay, lumber, mail, passengers, cattle, machinery, furniture, feed, produce and oil.
6. Operated as the Cherry Valley, Sharon & Albany Railroad until July 17, 1908 when it became the CV Branch of the D&H.
Hopefully this fills in some answers. Please, feel free to ask anything about the line.
Brian R. Ward
Cherry Valley, NY
Was there a wreck on the CV Line around 1917 ??
L. Perry, CV Village Historian
Cherry Valley, NY
Thanks for the work. I grew up, from about 1951 to 1960, an a farm on Rte 2O, west of Sharon Springs ( & Leesville/Lynk Rd) where the track passed through the back fields (and my grandfather owned the stone farm shown on map). I remember seeing a some short freights pass through, so it still hauled a little in the early '50'At the local grain store/mill( I want to say an Agway, but in Sharon, my brother and I played in boxcars. Too bad, no pix.
YORKTOWN HEIGHTS, NY
Do you have any pictures or information about The Cherry Valley Branch? Please