The 21-mile Burbank Branch, built in 1893, was basically a low-density bypass of the SP Coast Line in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles. Originally, consideration was given for this line to serve as the main route through San Fernando Valley; however, its sharp curves limited speed along the line, prompting SP to build another track across San Fernando Valley, this one with nary a curve between Burbank and Chatsworth. Thus this line served as a true branch for the entirety of its life.
The SP offered passenger service along its route using gas-electric passenger cars up until 1920, when competition from the Pacific Electric Red Car service forced SP's hand. However, the branch was re-opened to passenger service briefly during WWII, carrying wounded soldiers to the VA Hospital located on the line.
With freight service along the line diminishing, the line was severed as a through-route most likely in the late 1980s. Final doom for the line came in 1991 when the entire route was purchased by Los Angeles' Metro Transit Authority. During the following year, SP began phasing out service along the line to the last few remaining customers; now only those at the endpoints of the line (Burbank to North Hollywood, and Chatsworth to Canoga Park) see limited service.
Today, most of the route has been rebuilt by the MTA for their "Orange Line", an express bus service. The buses on this line run in a dedicated right-of-way that follows the original railroad right-of-way very closely. This service opened in 2005 to opposition from some who thought this area would be better suited for light-rail service using the existing tracks and infrastructure. Nevertheless, the Orange Line continues to see growing success today. Othwerwise, a short rail stub remains at the Chatsworth (west) end, which is sometimes used to store maintenance equipment.
From east to west, the line branched off at what is now "CP Olive", in Burbank, just south (railroad east) of Burbank Junction. The line then passed through North Hollywood, Van Nuys, Encino, Tarzana, Canoga Park, and then reconnected to the SP Coast Line at Chatsworth.