The Brewton and Pinora Railroad
— User Comments —
The actual spelling of this railway line was the Bruton & Pineora Railway. Bruton changed the spelling of the town to Brewton in 1895. While the railway wasn't incorporated until 1897, the Bruton name continued to be used from its predecessor, the Atlantic Short Line Railway.
The other town on the other hand, has always been Pineora, GA (not Pinora) and has been spelled incorrectly by the creator of the site. The community was originally the first stop for steam engines leaving Savannah, GA. The abundance of pine trees on the Elkins' family property resulted in the Elkins Stop for refueling.