This railroad began as the Bowling Green Railroad Company in 1874, as a link between Tontogany and Bowling Green, Ohio. The terminus in Tontogany was at the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Railroad (C.H. & D.), and the line continued southeast to Bowling Green. In 1887, the line was purchased by the C.H. & D. In 1890, the company purchased the Toledo, Findlay and Springfield Railroad, extending its line to North Baltimore, Ohio. The line was later purchased by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and operated until it was abandoned in 1978.
Today, a trail now runs on the right of way from North Baltimore to Bowling Green. Named the Slippery Elm Trail, it is 13 miles in length.